Pelosi considers Colbert a friend… Colbert considers Pelosi a nemesis. The two tangled on the Report this week. Pelosi appeared in efforts to encourage Colbert Nation viewers to support the Middle Class Jumpstart, because “when women succeed, America succeeds.” The crowd went wild! Because… who doesn’t love a populist message that supports women and families, right?
“When will you start jumping on the middle class?” Stephen wanted to know.
The goal is to pass a bill to stop giving tax breaks to corporations who ship their jobs overseas and instead give tax breaks to companies who keep good paying jobs right here at home. The second piece of this plan is to build roads, bridges, broadband networks, and water systems by closing tax loopholes for special interests in the tax code.
In true Colbert form, the conversation then devolved into that line few can cross with the former House Speaker.
“Do you have naked photos of John Boehner doing something?” Stephen asked with a smirk. “And if you do, is the tan uniform?”
Via the House Dems site on Middle Class Jumpstart:
‘MAKE IT IN AMERICA’ – BETTER JOBS AT HOME
- Republicans voted to give tax breaks to companies that ship American jobs overseas
- Democrats will introduce the “21st Century Make It In America Act” to provide tax incentives for creating good-paying jobs here at home
- Republicans blocked legislation to make long-term investments in our nation’s aging highway system and opposed creating clean energy jobs of the future
- House Democrats will pass the “Build America Bonds Act” to boost job growth and modernize America’s infrastructure by building roads, bridges, broadband technology and investing in clean energy initiatives – paid for by closing corporate tax loopholes.
- Republicans refused to raise the minimum wage but gave massive tax giveaways to corporate special interests and the ultra-wealthy
- House Democrats will pass the “Fair Minimum Wage Act” and the “CEO/Employee Pay Fairness Act” to deny CEOs the ability to claim tax deductions for pay over $1 million unless they give their employees a raise
WHEN WOMEN SUCCEED, AMERICA SUCCEEDS
- House Republicans refused to ensure equal pay for equal work, and voted to reduce access to child care and against paid sick leave
- House Democrats will pass the “Paycheck Fairness Act” to guarantee both women and men get equal pay for equal work, pass the “Healthy Families Act” to ensure paid sick leave for men and women, and increase access to affordable child care
- House Republicans voted to weaken domestic violence laws that protect women and voted to defund Planned Parenthood
- House Democrats will strengthen the “Violence Against Women Act” and will expand women’s access to comprehensive health care and family planning.
AFFORDABLE EDUCATION TO KEEP AMERICA #1
- House Republicans voted to pile more debt on the backs of students and families by preventing Americans from refinancing their student loans and by voting to cut Pell Grants
- House Democrats will pass the “Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act” to help Americans refinance their college loans to new, lower rates, and will increase access to Pell Grants for higher education
- House Republicans voted to limit access to quality early childhood education
- House Democrats will pass the “Strong Start for America’s Children Act” to increase access to effective early childhood learning